Office: 4 108
Guest Professor, Shanghai Institute of Microsystem and information technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2002----)
Honorary Professor, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology (2013--)
Guest Professor, Tianjin University (2006--)
Guest Professor, Institute of Solid State Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2006--)
Guest Professor, Xi'an Institute of Optics and Fine Machineries, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2006--)
Publications :Publication List (sourced via UOW Database)
Toyoda, T., Fujita, M., Uchida, T., Hiraiwa, N., Fukuda, T., Koizumi, H. & Zhang, C. (2013). Difference between far-infrared photoconductivity spectroscopy and absorption spectroscopy: theoretical evidence of the electron reservoir mechanism. Physical Review Letters, 111 (8), 086801-1-086801-4.
Wright, A. R., Cao, J. & Zhang, C. (2009). Enhanced optical conductivity of bilayer graphene nanoribbons in the terahertz regime. Physical Review Letters, 103 (20), 207401-1-207401-4.
Wang, X., Du, Y., Dou, S. Xue. & Zhang, C. (2012). Room temperature giant and linear magnetoresistance in topological insulator Bi2Te3 nanosheets. Physical Review Letters, 108 (26), 266806-1-266806-5.
Lv, B., Zhang, C. & Ma, Z. (2012). Specular Andreev Reflection in the Interface of a Two-Dimensional Semiconductor with Rashba Spin-Orbit Coupling and a d-Wave Superconductor. Physical Review Letters, 108 (7), 077002-1-077002-5.
Cai, J. Z., Lu, L., Kong, W., Zhu, H., Zhang, C., Wei, B. Q., Wu, D. & Liu, F. T. (2006). Pressure-induced transition in magnetoresistance of single-walled carbon nanotubes. Physical Review Letters, 97 (2), 026402-1-026402-4.
Current Positions:Professor, School of Physics
Biography:PhD, (1987), MPhil (1985), City University of New York, USA
Research Interests:*Electronic and transport properties of graphene, carbon nanotubes, and nanoribbons
*Optical properties and transport phenomena in low dimensional electronic structures and nanometer structures, including linear and nonliear transport, Raman scattering, optical absorption and reflection, cyclotron resonance, electron energy losses.
*Terahertz optoelectronics, linear and nonlinear response of electronic systems under intense terahertz radiation, free carrier absorption, plasmon excitation.
*Phonon emission in low dimensional systems, ultrasound and hypersound in electronic systems with lateral confinement.
*Manybody problems, correlation and exchange effects, collective excitations in electron liquid with application to high temperature superconductors.
*Quantum transport in nanosystems, including magneto-phonon-photon resonance and acoustic phonon generation in quantum wires, thermionic emission in semiconductor nanostructures
*Resonant tunneling in double barrier structures, single electron tunneling in NNN and NSN structures.
*Theory of quantum diffusion, tunneling and coherence in insulators and superconductors, including the effect of dissipation on tunneling.
*Dynamics in spintronics systems, current and density response at zero and finite frequencies.
*Kinetic theorem of classical plasmas and mechanism of instability in quantum plasmas.
200 career publications, including,
9 papers in Physical Review Letters
43 papers in Physical Review
30 papers in Applied Physics Letters
Awards:Recent Research Grants:
1. Australian Research Council Discovery (Lead CI)
Coherent, tuned terahertz photons from nonlinear processes in graphene
2. Australian Research Council Discovery (Lead CI)
Novel terahertz photonics and plasmonics in high mobility low-dimensional systems
3. Australian Research Council Discovery (2nd CI)
Electron and spin transport in topological insulators
4. Australian Research Council Linkage Project (3nd CI)
New generation high efficiency thermoelectric materials and modules for waste heat recovery in steelworks
5. Australian Research Council Discovery (Lead CI)
Novel graphene nanostructures: modelling, synthesis, fabrication and characterisation
6. DIISR International Science Linkage (Project manager)
High performance nanomaterials for thermionic and thermoelectric applications
7. ARC Linkage Project (Lead CI)
Novel methods for enhancing room temperature figure of merit of thermoelectric/thermionic materials for refrigeration applications
8. ARC Linkage International (Lead CI)
Design and creation of nanomechanical architectures from folding of ultra thin bi-layer films
9. Department of Education, Science and Technology (Project manager)
Development of terahertz emitters based on electronic and hybrid spintronic materials
10. ARC Discovery (2nd CI)
First principles for development of novel hybrid electrochemical energy storage and conversion systems
Future Research Topics:Dynamics of spintronics systems
Transport and photoresponse of graphene and carbon nanotubes
Nonlinear electronic properties in terahertz region
Thermionics and thermoelectrics in nanostructures
- James Archer : Developing High Spatial-Resolution Fibre-Optic Dosimeter
- Dasith Deshan Dodangoda Liyanage : Nucleation Under Non-Equilibrium Conditions.
- Muhammad Nadeem : Theoretical Study of Quantum Systems.
- Jie Tian : Exploring the Nonlinear Effect of Conductivity in Superconductor under Terahertz Field
- My Hanh Tran : Typical Features of some New Particles in Extended Standard Model
- Xavier Reales Ferreres : Efficient Energy Recovery using Thumoelectric Generators
- Jack Zuber : Conductivity of Incommensurate Gapped Graphene-Topological Insulator Heterostructures.
- Sunchao Huang : Exploring the potential applications of topological materials in terahertz photonics