2013 - 2014
Team UOW, winners of Solar Decathlon China 2013.
Academic Adviser (Construction)
Recipient of Rotary International Pride in Workmanship Award
Green Gown International Award for Student Initiatives
Lord Mayor's Special Australia Day 2014 award for community engagement
Engineers Australia Sydney President's Excellence Award 2014
Australian Learning and Teaching Council Citation for Outstanding contribution to student learning: For leadership in curriculum and space design that fosters collaborative learning, particularly for "killer"subjects in engineering
2009 - Present
Grant Assessor for Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) Priority Projects (Formerly Carrick Institute). 2009
OLT Citations assessor 2012 and 2013
Key Note Address/Invited Presentation
21ST CENTURY SUSTAINABLE BUILDING DESIGN IN AUSTRALIA
Keynote address at Advances in Building Sciences, IITM, Chennai Feb 13-16 2013
Professional/Industry Board Chair/Member
2007 - Present
Member of Board of Directors of National Centre for Appropriate Technologies (NCAT) - Futureworld, Lake Illawarra, NSW
2008 - Present
Board Member of Edmund Rice College, Wollongong
2009-Present Chair of Buildings Committee, ERC
2010 - 2013
Wollongong City Council Representative on Joint Regional Planning Panel - Southern Region
Publications :Publication List (sourced via UOW Database)
McCarthy, T. J. & Rasekh, H. (2013). 21ST Century sustainable building design in Australia. In S. Palaniappan & A. Mahalingam (Eds.), International Conference of Advances in Building Sciences 2012 (pp. 51-65). India: The Department of Civil Engineering Indian Institute of Technology Madras Chennai.
Wang, Z., McCarthy, T. J. & Sheikh, M. Neaz. (2013). Application of multiple objective particle swarm optimisation in the design of damaged offshore mooring systems. Key Engineering Materials, 569-570 1257-1264.
McCarthy, T. J., Sheikh, M. Neaz. & Gardner, A. (2008). Encapsulating sustainability principles for structural design of buildings. In P. Kenny & V. Brophy (Eds.), International Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture (pp. 1-5). Dublin: University College Dublin.
Cunliffe, N., McCarthy, T. J. & Trim, A. (2003). Optimisation of tapered stress joints for offshore catenary risers. The Structural Engineer, 81 (20), 35-40.
Current Positions:Professor of Structural Steel and Design, Director of Engineering and Mathematics Education Research Group
Biography:Professor Tim McCarthy is Professor of Structural Design in the School of Civil Mining and Environmental Engineering in the Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences at the University of Wollongong, NSW Australia. Prior 2005, he was Senior Lecturer in Structural Design at the University of Manchester and UMIST, UK. He holds BE (Civil) and PhD from University College Cork, Ireland and MSc from Cranfield University, UK. He specialises in ecologically sustainable structural design and sustainable construction materials. In 2013 he led a team of UOW students who designed, built and operated a net zero energy solar powered house which won the Solar Decathlon China 2013 championships in Datong, Northern China. He is a member of the National Standards Committee PP-20 on the eco-labelling of building products and construction materials.
Research Interests:Ecologically sustainable structural design, Engineering Education, Offshore Structures, Genetic Algorithms, Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Structural Design, Validation, Qualifiaction and Commissioning of Pharmaceutical Facilities
Professional Activities:Member of the Institute of Engineers of Ireland
- Navid Asadzadeh Aghdaei : A framework for adaptation and retrofitting an Australian conventional dwelling to improve performance by looking at different investment budget
- Mehdi Robati : Development Of A Sustainability Approach For The Structural Design Of Buildings
- York Stanham : Investigation of the Effect of Tuning Mechanisms on the Operational and Survival State of a Floating Oscillating Water Column Wave Energy Converter
- James Maguire : Analysis and Design of Cold-Formed Steel Storage Racks Subject to Rocking
- Ana Cristina Villaca Coelho : Sustainably Upgrades in Regional Commercial and retail Buildings
- Nicholas Franklin : Comparison and assessment of Cold-Formed Steel construction methods for Australian mid-rise apartment structures through the use of Building information Modelling
- Yufei Wu : Determining the Effects of Hailstone Impact on Flat Cold-Reduced Steel Roof Sheeting
- Kandage Dona Thushari Kanchana Wijayawardena : Use of Positive Psychology by Women in STEM Fields: An Exploratory Study on Women in Solar Decathlon Projects
- Jacqueline Thim : Thermal behavior of the Desert Rose House 2018 in a defined climatic zone depending on varied wall and roof constructions
- Luca Faidutti : BIM strategies for the optimisation of the design, construction, transport and disassembly processes of sustainable modular structures
- James Roth : Capacity Maximisation of Loaded Tensegrity Structures Through Optimal Pretensioning
- Md Refat Ahmed Bhuiyan : Analysis & Design of CFS Shear Panels For Midrise Buildings In Australia