Publications :Publication List (sourced via UOW Database)
M. J E. Alam, K. M. Muttaqi & D. Sutanto, "Alleviation of neutral-to-ground potential rise under unbalanced allocation of rooftop pv using distributed energy storage," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 6, (3) pp. 889-898, 2015.
M. Alam, K. M. Muttaqi & D. Sutanto, "A multi-mode control strategy for VAr support by solar PV inverters in distribution networks," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 30, (3) pp. 1316-1326, 2015.
M. R. Alam, K. M. Muttaqi & A. Bouzerdoum, "A multifeature-based approach for islanding detection of DG in the subcritical region of vector surge relays," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 29, (5) pp. 2349-2358, 2014.
M. J. E. Alam, K. M. Muttaqi & D. Sutanto, "A novel approach for ramp-rate control of solar PV using energy storage to mitigate output fluctuations caused by cloud passing," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 29, (2) pp. 507-518, 2014.
M. J E. Alam, K. M. Muttaqi & D. Sutanto, "Community energy storage for neutral voltage rise mitigation in four-wire multigrounded LV feeders with unbalanced solar PV allocation," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 6, (6) pp. 2845-2855, 2015.
K. M. Muttaqi , M. Negnevitsky & G. Ledwich, "A coordinated voltage control approach for coordination of OLTC, voltage regulator, and DG to regulate voltage in a distribution feeder," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 51, (2) pp. 1239-1248, 2015.
Biography:Dr. Kashem Muttaqi received the B.Sc. degree in electrical and electronic engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Bangladesh in 1993, the M.Eng.Sc. degree in electrical engineering from University of Malaya, Malaysia in 1996 and the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from Multimedia University, Malaysia in 2001. Currently, he is an Associate Professor at the School of Electrical, Computer, and Telecommunications Engineering, and member of Australian Power Quality and Reliability (APQRC) at the University of Wollongong, Australia. He was associated with the University of Tasmania, Australia as a Research Fellow/Lecturer/Senior Lecturer from 2002 to 2007, and with the Queensland University of Technology, Australia as a Research Fellow from 2000 to 2002. Previously, he also worked for Multimedia University as a Lecturer for three years.
Research Interests:Distributed generation, renewable energy, electrical vehicles, smart-grid, power system planning and control
Professional Activities:a) Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications and IEEE Industry Applications Magazine since 2012.
b) Session Organizer since 2012 and Session Chair since 2014 for IEEE Industry Application Society (IAS) Annual Meeting - Industrial Automation and Control Committee (IACC).
c) Invited Speaker for the International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (ICECE2014), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
d) Technical Chair for the 2015 Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC2015), Wollongong Australia.
e) Technical Chair for the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Power System Technology (PowerCon2016), Wollongong Australia.
f) Worked as a Postgraduate Coursework Degree Coordinator at the School of Electrical, Computer and Telecommunications Engineering (SECTE), University of Wollongong (UOW) from 2008 to 2010.
g) Member of CEGRE Australian Panel (AP) C6 - Distribution Systems and Dispersed Generation, and Member of IEEE IAS Industrial Automation and Control Committee (IACC).
h) Member of Australian Power Quality and Reliability Centre (APQRC), and Supervised 7 Research Fellows and 2 Visiting Fellows.
i) Chapter Adviser and Foundation Member of IEEE IAS Chapter and IEEE PES Chapter at UOW which were recently established
j) Total amount of research grants received exceeds $3.3 million (within last 13 years) including 7 Australian Research Council (ARC) grants (within last 10 years) and other competitive grants.
k) Published 226 peer-reviewed technical papers including 88 journal articles, 135 conference papers and 3 book chapters and excluding 2 Journal papers published in Nexus: Journal of Undergraduate Science Engineering and Technology.
l) Completed the course, ¿Teaching At University of Tasmania (TAUT)¿ in 2003.
m) Worked as a Deputy-Director of the Centre for Renewable Energy and Power Systems (CREPS) at the University of Tasmania (UTAS) before joining UOW.
n) Was member of Steering Committee of the 2007 ESAA Residential School.
Awards:a) Awarded Teaching Merit Certificate in 2004 for excellent teaching at the University of Tasmania.
b) PAPER AWARDS:
(1) Student Technical Session Best Paper Award at the 2014 Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 5-9 October 2014
Paper: Suboptimal MPPT Control for Power Management in PV-Diesel Remote Area Power Supply Systems
(2) IACC 2013 First Prize Paper Award at the 2013 Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 6-11 October 2013
Paper: An Effective Power Management Strategy for a Wind-Diesel-Hydrogen Based Remote Area Power Supply System to Meet Fluctuating Demands under Generation Uncertainty
(3) 2013 Third Prize Paper Award at the 2013 Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 6-11 October 2013
Paper: Novel Modulation and Control Strategy for Five-level ANPC Converter with Unbalanced DC Voltage Applied to a Single-Phase Grid Connected PV System
(4) 2012 Third Prize Paper Award at the 2012 Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 7-11 October 2012
Paper: Active Power Management of a Super capacitor-Battery Hybrid Energy Storage System for Standalone Operation of DFIG based Wind Turbines
Future Research Topics:Research Project:
Remote Area Power Supply
Vehicle to Grid
Energy Storage Integration
Solar Photovoltaic Integration
Wind Energy Control
Emergency Control of Power Systems
1. Renewable Energy Rich Hybrid Remote Area Power Supply
2. Improving the Low Voltage Ride Through of Renewables (wind/solar)
3. Vehicle to Grid for Network Support
4. Mitigation of Renewable Energy (Solar PV/wind) Intermittency Effects in the Grids using Energy Storage
5. Integrated Solar PV and Energy Storage at LV Networks
6. Influence of Distributed Generation on Voltage Sag/Swell Characterisation
7. Analysis of Voltage Stability in Renewable Energy Rich Power Grids
8. Investigation of Long-term Dynamics in Power Grids Under High Penetration of Renewables
- Chixin Xiao : Predictive Control for Uncertainty Optimisation in Distributed Smart Grids
- Obaidur Rahman : Integration of Renewables, Storage Devices and Electric Vehicles into the Future Power Grids
- Safdar Rasool : Energy Storage to Improve Power Quality and Reliabilty in Microgrids
- Ashib Rahman : Grid Integration of Distributed Energy Resources using magnetic linked converter
- Muhammad Yousaf : Control and Protection of Renewable Energy based Micro-grids
- Arian Zahedmanesh : Impact of Electric Vehicles in Power Grids Considering Reliability and Power Quality Constraints.
- Ghulam Mohy-ud-din : Energy Storage for Improving the Flexibility and Resilience of Power Grids with Renewables
- Md Nafiz Musarrat : Renewable Energy and Energy Storage Based Hybrid Remote Area power Supply Systems
- A M Mahfuz Ur Rahman : Intelligent energy management system for future micro grids.
- Viet Thang Tran : Distributed Energy Storage for Renewable Energy and Electric Vehicle Applications
- Kaveh Sarrafan : Improving Energy Storage management Systems in Electric Vehicles
- Md Minarul Islam : Mitigation of Power Quality Problems in Future Grids
- Hadi Lomei : Emergency Control for Catastrophic Disturbance in Future Power Grids
- Sumaiya Hasan : Detection, Analysis and Mitigation of Voltage Sag/Swell in Renewable Energy Rich Power Grids
- Prabha Ariyaratna : Distributed Generation for Energy Harvesting in Distribution systems using Hybrid Energy Storage